Tire Inflation: Do's and Dont's

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire Inflation: Do's and Dont's

In some of my search on the intergoogle, I've been seeing a lot of misinformation and simply BAD advice on tire inflation. To clear that up, here's a link. I'm TIA Certified and know this stuff, but instead of typing it all up, I'll leave a wonderful link here. It has everything you need to know about tire basics for inflation. I'll be checking this thread regularly, so feel free to ask questions, I'll answer to my best ability.

http://www.nitrogentiremachine.com/p..._inflation.htm
    Russ
    Forbiddenjeeps Northeast USA Moderator
    Founder/Administrator at LIW (Long Island Wheelers)
    Auto Mechanic

'04 WJ 4.0L, Selec-Trac, Goodyear Duratrac 225/70R16-----'80 MG B-Series Roadster, Resto-mod, General Altimax
    ***RIP*** ----- *Cause of Death*
    '06 TJR "Fangul" 4"Custom lift, General Grabber A/T-2 33x12.5R15 ----- Tree/Back Ice

Good info. Thanks Russ!
    07 JKUR,Currie lift w/Antirocks,Ultimate Dana 60's front and rear,Teraflex master cylinder,40"Toyo's on Level 8 Strike 8 wheels with Monster valves,Premier Power Welder,Pure Jeep rock rails,Expedition One rear bumper,customized Body Armor front bumper,Adam's 1350 driveshafts,M.O.R.E. engine/trans skid,20lb Co2,custom steel trunk enclosure,Warn X8000i,TrekArmor seat covers,Alien 20" LED bar and much...much more!

Comment

So how bad is it to run 2-3 miles on 12 PSI on concrete, like a quick trip back to camp after off roading or keeping the tires at 12PSI over night at camp while sleeping?

Comment

Originally posted by mikeminion View Post
        So how bad is it to run 2-3 miles on 12 PSI on concrete, like a quick trip back to camp after off roading or keeping the tires at 12PSI over night at camp while sleeping?
        That's no worries! A few miles at low speed won't hurt. If you do it regularly you may end up with a minor wear problem though (depending on your tire compound and aggressiveness)
        Russ
        Forbiddenjeeps Northeast USA Moderator
        Founder/Administrator at LIW (Long Island Wheelers)
        Auto Mechanic

'04 WJ 4.0L, Selec-Trac, Goodyear Duratrac 225/70R16-----'80 MG B-Series Roadster, Resto-mod, General Altimax
        ***RIP*** ----- *Cause of Death*
        '06 TJR "Fangul" 4"Custom lift, General Grabber A/T-2 33x12.5R15 ----- Tree/Back Ice

Comment

Sidewalls damage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          it's my X

Comment

Originally posted by MGEEP

That's no worries! A few miles at low speed won't hurt. If you do it regularly you may end up with a minor wear problem though (depending on your tire compound and aggressiveness)
            Awesome. Thank you. So even over night is fine or should I air up for the night?

Comment

Originally posted by mikeminion

Awesome. Thank you. So even over night is fine or should I air up for the night?
              If you vehicle is just sitting over night there shouldn't be any issues. It's mostly when you drive on tires with low pressure. Damage can occur. The drivability also isn't safe on paved roads. Just try and plan ahead. That way your tires are free of damage. And your safe on the high ways.
              it's my X

Comment

Excellent article Russ. Thanks.

On my Jeep, I took a look at the max load pressure and did some quick calculations on my Jeep weight. I took a stab at 25 to 30 psi in my 37" KM2s and got lucky. I've had excellent tire wear. Even after my Cali trip pulling a trailer. Off road I run 10 psi, I'm kinda nervous to run lower for now.

Comment

Working...
                X